Loving the Low-Carb Lifestyle

suggestions, recipes, and ideas for staying low-carb

Thursday, March 6, 2008

Fuel from Food!

I am a 5th grade teacher, and as most everyone knows, the FCATs are coming up all too soon. I am going to use that as an excuse for my blog posts being so few, and far between. I promise to get back into gear now. Anyway, they begin on Tuesday, and for 5th graders last over a week. At school today, a reminder went home with the students to give to their parents about making sure to eat healthy for the week. When I read over it, after I had passed it out to my class, I was immediately impressed, and also knew I was definitely doing the right thing with low-carb.

The heading to the handout said "Make sure your students have the best FCAT Fuel." It went on to remind parents that there are certain foods that are considered Brain Foods. These Brain Foods are what parents should be feeding their children for dinner on the nights before the FCAT. The list had all of my favorites. It included nuts, fish, beef, chicken, eggs, green vegetables, and of course dark chocolate. These are the foods that are said to improve brain function. Is there anything that you notice about them? I'll give you a minute. Yep, that's right. They are all vital parts of the low-carb lifestyle.

The best part about this handout is that is specifically states that parents should avoid feeding their children pasta, corn, rice and potatoes, and any complex carbohydrates that burn through your energy just trying to digest them. I was very happy to see something like this. So many people fight the "low-carb craze." It seems unnatural to them, because they have grown up on carbs. What they don't realize, though, is that it is the healthy choice for most people. Hopefully everyone will catch on, and our country won't be famous for its high percentage of obese people.

Labels: , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home