Loving the Low-Carb Lifestyle

suggestions, recipes, and ideas for staying low-carb

Monday, January 18, 2021

Bacon-Cauli Soup

This weather is too winter-y for me.  I'm in Northeast Florida, and even though we don't get super cold her, anything below 70 is cold to me, being a native Floridian. I don't feel like I'm a huge soup fan.  I have lots of friends who get uber-excited when fall hits because it's soup weather. I've never really been that person.  Every now and then, I love a cup of chili or soup, but not too frequently.  When it's cold, like it has been, the mood does strike, though...  Here's a great soup that uses one of my favorite ingredients: BACON!


Here's what you'll need:

1 head of Cauliflower (cut into florets)

2 stalks of Celery (chopped)

1 onion (chopped)

8 slices of bacon (cut with kitchen shears before frying)

salt and pepper to taste

xanthan gum to thicken

1 cup half and half

1 quart vegetable broth


Here's what you'll do:

First things first, let's cut and cook the bacon. I take a pair of kitchen shears and cut the bacon right into the pot you'll be cooking the soup in. Then, fry it up until it's crispy and let it settle on a paper towel lined plate. You'll come back to it later!

Now, to the pot, add your onion and celery.  Cook those for about 5 minutes and stir in your xantham gum.  Let that cook for another 2 minutes. 

Add in your cauliflower, and then pour in your half and half and chicken broth.  Bring this to a boil, and quickly reduce the heat to a simmer.  Allow this to simmer for about 15 minutes, which will bring the cauliflower to a tender place, but not mushy.

Add some salt and pepper to taste and serve piping hot!

 



Labels: , , , , , , , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home